Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 2

I hope everybody enjoyed the first week of college football.  There were some great games and then there were some not so good games (I'm looking at you Notre Dame).  The best game last week, in my opinion, happened between Utah State and the defending national champion Auburn Tigers.  Utah State traveled to Toomer's corner and were almost lucky enough to get a win until Auburn recovered a picturesque onside kick and scored the go ahead TD late in the game.  Last week I gave you 5 games that I'd be watching and while Notre Dame completely sucked, there was some pretty solid action on the field.  The Gophers almost took down the mighty Trojans in an exhibition match but I like what I saw from Jerry's Gophers and I expect them to make some noise (albeit quiet noise) in the Big(12) 10 this year.  The Oregon game again proved why the SEC is the best conference in football this year.  LSU was on fire against the Ducks, even though they were without their starting quarterback.  If Oregon could actually run against an SEC team they would be the defending champions but, just like their last game, they were unable to rush the ball effectively against a powerful SEC defense.  Kellen Moore showed why Boise is going to get screwed out of a championship game appearance again against Georgia.  Maybe Georgia isn't that good but Kellen sliced and diced UGA's defense and I think Mark Richt's seat is getting a little warmer in Athens.  Notre Dame was, actually I'm not even going to go there.  Brian Kelly obviously doesn't know how to pick a starting quarterback and it showed.  I actually didn't get a chance to check out the Wolverines this past week but they got a win even though the game was called because of rain.  Now on to the 5 games I'll be tuning into this week:


#1. Notre Dame at Michigan (7:00 CST) If you've watched Sportscenter at all this week I don't think I need to tell you why I'll be watching this game.  84 years ago Michigan's stadium "The Big House" was built and it has never seen a night game...until Saturday.  Saturday marks the first time a visiting team will travel to Ann Arbor to play under the lights and whether you hate these teams or love them it's a classic rivalry and one game every year (no matter how much Notre Dame sucks) that I tune into. I'll take Michigan in a blowout.

#2. South Carolina at Georgia (3:30 CST) If you read my last post you know how high I am on South Carolina this year.  I'm drinking their Kool-Aid.  SC travels to Athens to play between the hedges against a Georgia team that needs this SEC opener to keep Mark Richt's seat from setting aflame.  Since this is the SEC conference opener I feel like I have to watch now that Spurrier wised (not sure if that's the right word) up and put Stephen Garcia back in to the starting QB spot I see WR Alshon Jeffery and Marcus Lattimore having huge days against a weak Georgia defense.

#3. Alabama at Penn State (2:30 CST) Is Joe Paterno still alive or does he just move around when the fans cheer like Bernie from "Weekend at Bernies".  My vote is for the latter.  Penn State was pretty impressive against whatever D3 school they played last week and while I think Alabama is one of the best teams in the nation I think the Tide have to be on upset alert this week.  That's why I'm picking Penn St for my upset special this week.  When I'm wrong please don't come back at me, I'm just going with my heart on this pick.  WE ARE!

#4. BYU at Texas (6:00 CST) I don't actually know why I'm picking this game but BYU did rally against Ole Miss and Texas does nothing to impress me.  I guess you could say I hate Texas but I'll tune into this game in hopes of seeing my man crush Jimmer Fredette on the BYU side line.  Will BYU upset the Longhorns? Fredette about it, but since Texas plays Oklahoma in a couple of weeks it's time to see if they can upset Big Game Bobby Stoops (doubtful).

I went over this week's college football schedule multiple times but I don't see any other games that really interest me except Northern Illinois traveling into Lawrence Kansas to take on my Jayhawks.  I went to Ku's home opener and was almost bored to death.  It's like they took a page out of Herm Edwards' run, run, pass playbook.  It was so boring we left at halftime, to go drink some more beers.  Shh don't tell the Huskies but while I was sitting in the stands I was calling almost every Kansas play and if I can guess run or pass I'm sure people who get paid to do it will also.  It doesn't matter who wins this game because 3/4th's of the students will be either passed out in or out of the stadium by halftime.

Well that's all I have for today, I'll check back in with you all next week.

1 comment: